Express your interest in pursuing a certificate. Once accepted, you will receive an email with further instructions for registration.
Degree requirements: none
Program length: 5 courses (18-24 months)
Format: hybrid (online and in-person)
Contact: Debra Korte
Learn the basic principles of the science and practice of food production, processing, and security across urban environmental, economic, and social contexts, while maintaining environmental sustainability.
You may complete all required courses to obtain the certificate or may choose to enroll in select courses without earning the certificate.
Food Systems Certificate courses are offered online, in person at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus, in person at the Discovery Partners Institute (DPI) in Chicago, or a combination of those options.
- ACES 102 Intro Sustainable Food Systems OR MFST 101 Intro to Metropolitan Food & Environmental Systems
- NRES 100 Fundamentals of Environmental Science OR NRES 102 Intro to Natural Resources & Environmental Sciences
- HORT 100 Intro to Horticulture OR CPSC 112 Intro to Crop Sciences
- FSHN 101 The Science of Food and How it Relates to You OR FSHN 120 Contemporary Nutrition
- ACE 100 Intro to Applied Microeconomics
Upon completing your required coursework, you will need to submit a completion request for your certificate.