Upon completing your required coursework, you will need to submit a completion request for your certificate.
Degree requirements: none
Program length: 5 courses (18-24 months)
Format: hybrid (online and in-person)
Contact: Debra Korte
Learn the basic principles of the science and practice of food production, processing, and security across urban environmental, economic, and social contexts, while maintaining environmental sustainability.
You may complete all required courses to obtain the certificate or may choose to enroll in select courses without earning the certificate.
Food Systems Certificate courses are offered online, in person at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus, in person at the Discovery Partners Institute (DPI) in Chicago, or a combination of those options.
- ACES 102 Intro Sustainable Food Systems OR MFST 101 Intro to Metropolitan Food & Environmental Systems
- NRES 100 Fundamentals of Environmental Science OR NRES 102 Intro to Natural Resources & Environmental Sciences
- HORT 100 Intro to Horticulture OR CPSC 112 Intro to Crop Sciences
- FSHN 101 The Science of Food and How it Relates to You OR FSHN 120 Contemporary Nutrition
- ACE 100 Intro to Applied Microeconomics
How to Enroll
Not a current student at U of I? Enroll as a non-degree student.
Taking University of Illinois courses as a Non-Degree student is a great way to demonstrate your readiness for a degree program, and to determine if the degree program is the right fit for you.
- Navigate to the Academic Credit Registration for Non Degree-Seeking Students page.
- Click the orange button at the bottom of the page to “Review Policies before Registration.”
- Click the arrow next to the “Undergraduate Students” text to learn more about the enrollment process.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page. Click the “Proceed to Registration” button.
- After reading the statement, click the orange “I understand” button.
- Click the text “New Student? Create a login here.”
- Enter a Login and Password to setup an account.
- Complete the registration process by providing information for the required fields.
Within 2-3 days, you will receive email confirmation of your registration status as a non-degree student. After you receive confirmation of your student status, you can request to enroll in one or more courses.
Already a U of I student?
Express your interest in pursuing a certificate. Once accepted, you will receive an email with further instructions for registration.