The College of ACES gives its faculty the resources they need to provide catalytic leadership that will not only positively impact society, but will prepare the next generation of professionals to meet global challenges.
The ACES Office of Research created the Research Academy to help new faculty members in the early years of their careers. The unique program helps them navigate the road to tenure. Department heads in the College of ACES are asked to nominate assistant professors who are in the early stage of their careers for the 1-semester commitment in the academy.
The academy offers grant-writing workshops, information on managing time effectively, assistance from senior faculty on developing a tenure plan and preparing tenure documentation, and tools for monitoring, identifying, writing, and securing research funds. A trip to Washington, D.C., helps participants develop both relationships with agencies that may be able to provide them with funding and strategies for presenting their work to these agencies.
For further information about the Research Academy, contact Dr. Elvira de Mejia.
The ACES Office of Research provides assistance to faculty and principal investigators (PIs) to develop and strengthen research proposals. Our services focus on pre-award activities for interdisciplinary research proposals and cover the grant pipeline.
- Identify relevant funding opportunities and liaise faculty and staff through targeted communications
- Find intramural and extramural research collaborators
- Assist with proposal development (editing, reviewing, and literature searches)
- Offer grant project management and coordination for collaborative, interdisciplinary, and multi-institution research grant proposals
- Liaise with Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA)
Because funding submission deadlines are often inflexible, developing timelines well in advance helps manage the process. The ACES Office of Research aims to provide researchers with integrated assistance, the degree of which may vary depending upon timelines and grant complexity. Our services supplement unit-provided grant support.
Contact Barbara Godlew (firstname.lastname@example.org) for additional information regarding writing and editing services.
ACES Office of Research Resources
- Office of Sponsored Programs
- Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research
- Office of Foundation Relations
Federal Funding Agencies
- National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA)
- NIFA Request for Applications List
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- United States Agency of International Development (USAID)
- Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- US Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science
- US Department of Energy (DOE) Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- US Department of Defense
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF)
- McKnight Foundation
- David and Lucille Packard Foundation
- Charles Stewart Mott Foundation
Funding Search Engines
Proposal Development Resources
The University of Illinois Research IT Portal connects researchers to technology resources, services, training, and support. Users can search for resources by colleges, laboratories, and centers or by what category type the resource would fall under.
If you cannot find an ACES resource you are looking for, contact the appropriate ACES facility or center or contact the office of research.
If you need technology support help, contact the ACES Technology Services Team.